Thursday, September 16, 2010

Myth #1

"I'll deal with it later."  There are several ways to go with this one, but let me share an experience I had that will hopefully bring the general idea home for you.  I conduct annual reviews of my clients, and their insurance portfolios.  Primarily we review the policies that the client currently insures with us, and then we open up the discussion to the other areas of insurance that we don't insure and discuss what they are doing to protect themselves.  On one such review with a client we had finished discussing his home and auto that he insured with me, and then I started discussing with him about his financial protection plan, and what they were doing about life insurance.  You see they had 8 children all still in school (which I discovered through the review process) and he had no life insurance plan.  They became extremely convicted once they realized that their or thier spouse's premature death would leave the surving spouse and kids desparate and on the road to disaster.  So I began the work up of an illustration right away.  Then the tragic part.  Through asking them about their health they revealed a degenerative disease that kept them from being insurable!  Even more tragic is the condition would require a major operation once it had denegrated to a certain point and the likelihood of success was not great.  They may very well only have had a few more years left!  It was hard for me to keep my composure in that meeting as my own thoughts drifted to those of my wife and kids.  This client's eldest child was 15.  If 15 years ago they had made the decision to put an life insurance plan in place then they would have gotten it way cheaper then they could have ever gotten now, they would have qualified because the disease had not developed yet, and they could have had financial peace knowing they would be ok even if the operation wasn't successful, or if something worse had happened. 

I hope that this person encounter successfully busts the myth for you and know that no one is guaranteed another breath. It's time to take action on this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment